Friday, January 15, 2010

New Year's mondegreens, or who in the hell is Danny Heidelman?

Well, it's a new year with lots of new challenges and lots of lyrics to mishear. I haven't posted any mondegreens lately, so here's another round.

I have been accused of making up these mondegreens after the fact. But I did mishear all these lyrics at one point in my life. You'll notice that most of these mondegreens are of older songs (I think the newest song in this entry came out in 1981), which is no accident, as I misheard most of these lyrics when I was younger.

WRONG: I am Danny Heidelman
RIGHT: I'm the dandy highwayman
"Stand and Deliver," Adam and the Ants

WRONG: When my finger goes east and lights
RIGHT: When I think of those East End nights
"Someone Saved My Life Tonight," Elton John

WRONG: Sh-boom and automobile again
RIGHT: Sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again
"Sh-Boom," The Crew Cuts

WRONG: Doctors fill my room
RIGHT: Darkness fills my room
"Nice to Be With You," Gallery

WRONG: Nel blu, a yucky boy blue
RIGHT: Nel blu degli occhi tuoi blu
"Volare," Domenico Modugno

WRONG: I like this kind of Hawkeye music
RIGHT: I like this kind of hot kind of music
"Honey Pie," The Beatles

WRONG: I don't believe in cinnamon
RIGHT: I don't believe in Zimmerman
"God," John Lennon

WRONG: Never goose me any other way
RIGHT: Never could see any other way
The repeating loop at the end of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

No comments: