Saturday, June 21, 2008

This one would make a cool cartoon

This week's mondegreen:

WRONG: I can see all popsicles in my way
RIGHT: I can see all obstacles in my way
"I Can See Clearly Now," Johnny Nash

Come to think of it, this phenomenon isn't limited to songs, at least not in my life. I remember, when I was little, having to go to the basement because a tomato was coming. And hearing about how Michelangelo painted the Sixteen Chapels. I'll bet he was exhausted! And when I read the Bible, I couldn't figure out why those Old Testament kings had so many porcupines....

Then there was the time that my brother was watching the cop show starring Jack Lord that was set in the 50th State. I asked him what he was watching, and I thought he said, "A Wife I Know."

But the funniest was the time that he told me about this songwriting seminar where he met one of the writers of a song that had been a country hit for Gary Morris, but would later become more famous when covered by Bette Midler. Imagine how I laughed when he said he met the writer of "Women Eat My Wings"!

No comments: